Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Colby's Comments on Election Issues and Superdelegates

Comments to an LA Times Op-Ed here:  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0413-mcmanus-questions-dem-debate-20160413-column.html

Agree. Think more clarity on these would be great. Frankly, 'solving' ISIS is complicated and long-term. No sound bites will help; ground-troop choice interesting. More discussion from Hillary and Bernie would be great. The Panama Papers and Financial regulating - well a tax on Wall St. is a GREAT idea, how do we get hit for $2 every trip to an ATM, but the banks get a free ride? - is clear to fall on Bernie's side. Nation building, Bernie has stated he is less of an imperialist. As for Congress, that dysfunction should be discussed at length. Removing the filibuster I think is necessary in this age of grid-lock. Hundreds have been sitting in at the White House over the last few days and getting arrested trying to help bring attention to this, and the mainstream media seems to be ignoring it. They are supporting bills to create Congress' public election, remove Citizen's United, and other bills which would make Congress more responsive to the public's needs, not corporation's needs.
As a somewhat related add, the superdelegate thing seems broken. At the very least the 'insiders' should not be publicly announcing the front-loading of the horse they are betting on so inappropriately EARLY in the contest as it biases, weights and defeats the notion of a fair election. As it currently stands it seems to us the party has already anointed its candidate and we are all just going through meaningless gesticulations learning about candidates and their positions on issues and think we are 'contributing' to the process by being involved in primaries and voting. The superdelegate thing needs to be re-thought, and re-worked and not made public until after the general public has it's say. - Colby Allerton


Donald Trump has been railing against the delegate and super delegate system... and it's one of the few coherent takes I've been able to find amongst his output... Here

No comments:

Sunset, Venice 12/20/2012

Sunset, Venice 12/20/2012
I've been thinking some about the Winter Solstice, the Mayan end of the 30,000-year-cycle on 12/21/12.

What if in fact the world did end? Even though this probably will not happen, to live consciously it is honest for us to take a bit of an inventory.

Am I happy with how I've lived my life? (Yesterday, I thought mostly yes, with some areas for improvement, as below.) Are there changes I would make?
Would I have tried to forgive those that were hostile or disappointing to me?
Would I spend more time with those I loved the most, telling them that, feeling that more?
Would I be happier, grateful for what I have, what I've experienced, the joy, the beauty in this world?

Maybe the answer is yes to all of the above.
So this time can serve as a point of rebirth for all of us. If we think about it.

Because somewhere along the line I realized I think maybe mankind deserves it. !
The way we are killing each other, killing the planet.
How selfish we are, and snotty to those around us. Petty, competitive. Why is this? Do we have to behave this way? (I say no, it greatly detracts and misdirects energy from the full-time celebration in which we could engage, the great multi-cultural, multi-rhythmic dance we can sustain here.)

Maybe God or the Great Universe is fed up, and will pull the rug out from under us.
Don't think I can say we could blame Him/Her/It.

But it probably won't happen. (Probably not! This time.)

Still we are finite on this ride.

It is a time to think, am I happy with how I've lived my life?
Hopefully most of us can say yes.

For the part of us that have a little worry, a little sadness....
This is the time to be present.
This is the time to be the person you want to be, that can die at peace, that can hope to every day be able to look yourself and the Universe in the eye and say, how beautiful, smiling, and thank you. Let's do that.

Antidotes to Violence, a.k.a., Take Charge of Where Your Head's At - here

Tell Congress to Strengthen Gun Control Laws NOW - here

Good News & Brain Food News -
Christians & Muslims Gather, for Peace here
Good News - Top RIO+20 Summit Posts here
The 'Busy' Trap - NYTimes.com
here