Monday, February 8, 2016

Colby on Supporting Tibet and Freedoom, Post February 2016

Thought I'd just put a few words in on Tibet. A few years ago I made public my efforts to not buy things made in China. My petition on Change.org got over 1,000 signatures, and a letter got into the San Francisco Chronicle. I exchanged a few emails with some Tibetan people who appreciated the support, and the pressure put on China to reform their policies: to open up freedom of speech, worship, and rights of gender, and protect the environment. And to resist the Chinese persecution of and nearly genocidal policies toward Tibetan people and culture, and efforts to eradicate Tibetan Buddhism itself. Even typing the words again is upsetting me. So the boycotting of Chinese products, and sharing with the Chinese premier that we were avoiding buying goods from China for the above reasons, and wanted reform, was a most logical effort. Which I continue. I welcome all others to join in this effort.

As I posed in the SF Chronicle letter, "What if we all avoided buying anything from China for a month? How much change could we force?" You may try it for awhile, it may make you feel better. It may help. (If remaining conscious of the choice, and taking some actions like telling managers why you won't buy something -- see below. Sharing your actions with the Chinese premier or other trade reps is extra credit.)

I continue to avoid buying things made in China. In my trip last week to Mammoth, I bought Nina a nice, colorful souvenir "Love Mammoth" t-shirt made in Guatemala, not the one made in China. It's easy, you just look at the label. I love to find "Made in the USA" labels. Countries other than China usually get me excited too. Fair trade goods even more excited. If there are no options other than made in China, usually I'll pass on the item. [Unless I very strongly need the item for whatever reason.] Often I will briefly and pleasantly tell the sales clerk, "I pass on things made in China because of their human rights and environmental abuses. Please tell your manager to stock products not made in China." Sometimes I elaborate, often that's simply all I'll say.

I continue to support the Tibetan people, and sent a contribution last month to the International Campaign for Tibet. So the Campaign for Tibet just sent me my renewal letter, thanking me for the support. They included in the letter that the U.S. government in the 2016 Congressional budget bill has appropriated money to promote and preserve Tibetan cultures and communities. That is good. Our help and advocacy no doubt help.

I find the Tibetan culture to be peaceful, ancient and elegant part of mankind. To imagine a political force like China wanting to eradicate it is infuriating, and so sad.

We all should help support Tibetan people, and freedom and peace, at every chance. Particularly when some things are so easy to do.

No comments:

Sunset, Venice 12/20/2012

Sunset, Venice 12/20/2012
I've been thinking some about the Winter Solstice, the Mayan end of the 30,000-year-cycle on 12/21/12.

What if in fact the world did end? Even though this probably will not happen, to live consciously it is honest for us to take a bit of an inventory.

Am I happy with how I've lived my life? (Yesterday, I thought mostly yes, with some areas for improvement, as below.) Are there changes I would make?
Would I have tried to forgive those that were hostile or disappointing to me?
Would I spend more time with those I loved the most, telling them that, feeling that more?
Would I be happier, grateful for what I have, what I've experienced, the joy, the beauty in this world?

Maybe the answer is yes to all of the above.
So this time can serve as a point of rebirth for all of us. If we think about it.

Because somewhere along the line I realized I think maybe mankind deserves it. !
The way we are killing each other, killing the planet.
How selfish we are, and snotty to those around us. Petty, competitive. Why is this? Do we have to behave this way? (I say no, it greatly detracts and misdirects energy from the full-time celebration in which we could engage, the great multi-cultural, multi-rhythmic dance we can sustain here.)

Maybe God or the Great Universe is fed up, and will pull the rug out from under us.
Don't think I can say we could blame Him/Her/It.

But it probably won't happen. (Probably not! This time.)

Still we are finite on this ride.

It is a time to think, am I happy with how I've lived my life?
Hopefully most of us can say yes.

For the part of us that have a little worry, a little sadness....
This is the time to be present.
This is the time to be the person you want to be, that can die at peace, that can hope to every day be able to look yourself and the Universe in the eye and say, how beautiful, smiling, and thank you. Let's do that.

Antidotes to Violence, a.k.a., Take Charge of Where Your Head's At - here

Tell Congress to Strengthen Gun Control Laws NOW - here

Good News & Brain Food News -
Christians & Muslims Gather, for Peace here
Good News - Top RIO+20 Summit Posts here
The 'Busy' Trap - NYTimes.com
here